About the Program
The Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) Bursary Program was introduced in 1997 to recognize and reward dedication in education and hockey. The program provides financial assistance to registered OHF participants to offset the cost of post-secondary education. In the past 16 years, the OHF has distributed more than $270,000 to over 260 post-secondary students.
Each year, the OHF awards bursaries to outstanding young people who display an incredible amount of commitment both at the arena and in the classroom. The bursary recipients are determined on the basis of academic achievements, hockey involvement and community involvement.
2013 OHF Bursary Program Eligibility & Application Requirements
To be eligible to receive a bursary, a candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be registered for three (3) years within the OHF in any capacity (player, trainer, coach, official)
- Be registered with the OHF during his/her application season
- Be a registrant in good standing with the OHF
- Enrolling or enrolled in post-secondary full-time studies in Canada for the first time
- A letter from the candidate outlining his/her contributions to hockey, what the game of hockey has meant to him/her and other information such as volunteer or community involvement
- One (1) letter of reference from current school on official letterhead
- One (1) letter of reference from a hockey related organization on official letterhead
- Most current copy of Official School Transcript
- A copy of candidates current marks summary
- Applicants will be scored based on their personal contribution to hockey and the community as well as their school related submission
- The number of recipients and the amount awarded to each will be determined by the OHF Bursary Committee
- Previous recipients are not eligible
How to Apply
1) Complete application form
2) Submit all requirement documentation (all documents must be one-sided, unstapled, unbound and placed in order listed above) no later than 4:30pm on April 26th,2013.
3) Applications should be sent to the OHF Office:
OHF Bursary Committee
400 Sheldon Drive, Unit 9
The OHF will announce successful applications no later than September 2013. Bursary cheques will be processed in October 2013 upon receiving proof of enrollment. Proof of Enrollment must be in the form of official documents from the post-secondary institution the recipient is attending. Payment will be made directly to the recipient.
For more information regarding the OHF Bursary Program, please contact Lisa McInerney.
The Jim Stirling Scholarship Bursary Donated by BFL Canada
Each year BFL Canada donates a $1,000.00 educational bursary to a deserving player for his or her continued education. The Jim Stirling Scholarship Bursary is awarded to the top OHF Bursary applicant who receives the number 1 ranking from the OHF Bursary Committee. This applicant will receive the $1,000.00 Jim Stirling Scholarship Bursary in addition to a $1,000.00 OHF Bursary for a total award of $2,000.00.