35 OHL Players Selected in 2018 NHL Draft
Date: Jun, 25, 2018 11:51 AM EDT
Dallas, TX – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that 35 OHL players were selected in the seven rounds of the 2018 NHL Draft held this weekend at American Airlines Center representing over 16% of all 217 players picked by all 31 NHL clubs.
The 35 OHL players includes seven selected in the first round with three picks in the top-10 led by Andrei Svechnikov of the Barrie Colts chosen second overall by the Carolina Hurricanes. The draft’s second round featured six OHL players bringing the league’s opening two-round total to 13 which represents 20% of the top-62 picks.
A total of 78 Canadian Hockey League players were selected including the 35 from the OHL, along with 23 players from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, and 20 players from the Western Hockey League.
By position, a total of 118 forwards were selected (19 OHL), 70 defencemen (14 OHL), and 29 goaltenders (2 OHL). The league produced two of the first five forwards chosen with Svechnikov the top player at his position, followed by Barrett Hayton of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds chosen fifth overall by the Arizona Coyotes. On defence, the OHL helped fuel a record number of blue liners chosen in the draft’s opening round providing three of the 14 picks including two of the first seven beginning with Evan Bouchard of the London Knights going 10th overall to the Edmonton Oilers, followed by Ryan Merkley of the Guelph Storm taken 21st overall by the San Jose Sharks. Jacob Ingham of the Mississauga Steelheads was the first OHL goaltender chosen 175th overall by the Los Angeles Kings.
15 of the OHL’s 20 member teams developed NHL Draft talent in 2018 led by the London Knights with four players selected continuing their record streak of players chosen annually since 1969. The Barrie Colts, Kitchener Rangers, Oshawa Generals, Ottawa 67’s, and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds each had three players selected.
20 of the 31 NHL teams selected at least one OHL player with the host Dallas Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs tying for the most with four each. The Arizona Coyotes and Los Angeles Kings each chose three OHL players, while the Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, Vegas Golden Knights, and Winnipeg Jets each selected two.
Following the 2018 NHL Draft, a total of 2,354 OHL players have been selected since 1969 representing close to 21% of all players.
OHL Players Selected in the 2018 NHL Draft:
(Click on a player to watch post-draft interview)
First Round (7 OHL Players):
2. Andrei Svechnikov (Barrie Colts) – Carolina Hurricanes
5. Barrett Hayton (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Arizona Coyotes
10. Evan Bouchard (London Knights) – Edmonton Oilers
13. Ty Dellandrea (Flint Firebirds) – Dallas Stars
18. Liam Foudy (London Knights) – Columbus Blue Jackets
21. Ryan Merkley (Guelph Storm) – San Jose Sharks
29. Rasmus Sandin (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Toronto Maple Leafs
Second Round (6 OHL Players):
34. Serron Noel (Oshawa Generals) – Florida Panthers
40. Ryan McLeod (Mississauga Steelheads) – Edmonton Oilers
47. Kody Clark (Ottawa 67’s) – Washington Capitals
51. Akil Thomas (Niagara IceDogs) – Los Angeles Kings
52. Sean Durzi (Owen Sound Attack) – Toronto Maple Leafs
55. Kevin Bahl (Ottawa 67’s) – Arizona Coyotes
Third Round (4 OHL Players):
66. Cam Hillis (Guelph Storm) – Montreal Canadiens
67. Alec Regula (London Knights) – Detroit Red Wings
76. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (Peterborough Petes) – Toronto Maple Leafs
88. Joey Keane (Barrie Colts) – New York Rangers
Fourth Round (6 OHL Players):
97. Allan McShane (Oshawa Generals) – Montreal Canadiens
100. Adam Mascherin (Kitchener Rangers) – Dallas Stars
101. Nico Gross (Oshawa Generals) – New York Rangers
106. Curtis Douglas (Windsor Spitfires) – Dallas Stars
113. Aidan Dudas (Owen Sound Attack) – Los Angeles Kings
118. Mac Hollowell (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Toronto Maple Leafs
Fifth Round (8 OHL Players):
134. Blade Jenkins (Saginaw Spirit) – New York Islanders
137. Riley Damiani (Kitchener Rangers) – Dallas Stars
140. Brandon Saigeon (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Colorado Avalanche
145. Dennis Busby (Flint Firebirds) – Arizona Coyotes
150. Declan Chisholm (Peterborough Petes) – Winnipeg Jets
153. Giovanni Vallati (Kitchener Rangers) – Winnipeg Jets
154. Connor Corcoran (Windsor Spitfires) – Vegas Golden Knights
155. Damien Giroux (Saginaw Spirit) – Minnesota Wild
Sixth Round (2 OHL Players):
172. Mitchell Hoelscher (Ottawa 67’s) – New Jersey Devils
175. Jacob Ingham (Mississauga Steelheads) – Los Angeles Kings
Seventh Round (2 OHL Players):
200. Tyler Tucker (Barrie Colts) – St. Louis Blues
208. Jordan Kooy (London Knights) – Vegas Golden Knights
For full results from the 2018 NHL Draft visit www.nhl.com.