World Girls' Ice Hockey Weekend
Date: Oct, 04, 2019 12:00 PM EDT
World Girls’ Ice Hockey Weekend will celebrate the female game from coast to coast to coast – and beyond – Oct. 4-6.
Coming together for female hockey!
When: October 4-6, 2019
From Oct. 4-6, 2019, the International Ice Hockey Federation will lead the way on the ninth year of World Girls’ Ice Hockey Weekend, with dozens of federations around the world taking part. The goal of this weekend is to have events from coast to coast to coast that recruit, retain and engage female players, coaches, officials and fans – old and new. This event aims to celebrate and grow the female game, and unite Canadians through grassroots programming led by female hockey associations, minor hockey associations and communities.
Since 2011, the IIHF has united countries around the globe for World Girls' Ice Hockey Weekend. Over the years, thousands of people have taken part and the celebration continues to grow – click here to see events that have been hosted around the world!
Get involved in your own unique way or check this list to find events you can attend in your community!
Hosts can register their event HERE. Hockey Canada will supply gifts to approved events on a first come, first approved basis.
Groups eligible to host events include:
- sanctioned teams,
- female hockey associations/minor hockey associations,
- community groups
Hosts can get involved in the weekend in a variety of different ways. Events supported by Hockey Canada must meet at least one of the three main purposes of the event weekend – recruitment, retention or engagement.
The following types of events are eligible for support from Hockey Canada:
- Recruitment events: Hold a learn-to-play event to recruit new players to your female program!
- Skills development sessions: Utilize the Hockey Canada Network to host a skills development session or test your team’s skills by hosting a skills competition!
- Tournament or jamboree: Incorporate an additional World Ice Girls’ Hockey Weekend-dedicated activity into your schedule.
- 3 v 3 tournaments: Within a team or MHA, host an afternoon of 3 vs 3 games.
- Free skate: Schedule some ice time for players to come out and get additional skating practice in. Encourage players to bring a friend.
- Skill development sessions: Registered players take part in an off-ice skills development session. Utilize the Hockey Canada Network off-ice programs or take part in a team joga/yoga session.
- Floorball/ball hockey: Book a local gym or court space and practice skills!
- Road hockey: On a closed road or playground space free from traffic, play some road hockey!
Education & Celebration
- Skill development seminar: Host a coaching clinic, officiating clinic or other skill development seminar.
- Classroom lesson plans: Utilize Hockey Canada lesson plans with a focus on the female game in a classroom or have a guest speaker from a local MHA or member branch talk about the female game.
- Watch a local game: Gather your team, wear your jerseys and head to a game! If you can arrange a shout-out from the hosts or play a mini-game – even better! See if your team can have a table to promote your association and spread the word about female hockey!
- Celebration/party: Host a kick-off event for your team or have a celebration before, after or in-between any on-ice or off-ice events. (Any celebration events held in private residences will not be approved.)
*All events are subject to approval and must fall within sanctioning guidelines from the governing member to be considered an official World Girls’ Ice Hockey Weekend event. Hockey Canada will supply gifts to approved events on a first come, first approved basis.
*Only events that occur between October 4-6, 2019 will be considered for approval as official World Girls’ Ice Hockey Weekend events.