OHF Hockey Canada Licensed Skill Development Program
The Ontario Hockey Federation, in conjunction with Hockey Canada, the Ontario Provincial Sport Organizations (Hockey Eastern Ontario, Hockey Northern Ontario and the Ontario Women’s Hockey Association), and its Members developed the OHF Hockey Canada Licensed Skill Development Program.
Hockey Canada Licensed Development Specialists are qualified, skilled and capable of running the highest quality programs on the ice for Minor Hockey Associations (MHAs), Female Hockey Associations (FHAs) Coaches and Players. The certification process equips skills coaches to deliver approved curriculums as set out by Hockey Canada Development, Men’s High Performance and Female High Performance and ensures all participants engaging in private skill development are covered by Hockey Canada insurance.
On completion of the certification process coaches will be considered a Hockey Canada Licensed Development Specialist, which includes:
- Hockey Canada Certified Skills Instructor
- Hockey Canada Certified Goaltender Instructor
- Hockey Canada Subject Matter Expert/Skating Specific Instructor
Once certified, Hockey Canada Licensed Development Specialists can then operate OHF programming in the likes of both individual and group skill development sessions, Hockey School / Day Camp (if not hockey only additional insurance rider may be required) and/or Coach Mentoring Sessions provided for sanctioned hockey associations according to provincial regulations.
How to Become Certified
- Please apply online by using the following links specific to your area of interest:
- The OHF will then work with applicants to ensure they receive the following pre-requisite training:
- Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) or Criminal Record Check (CRC)
- Respect in Sport – Activity Leader Course
- Gender Identity and Expression Course
- Rowan’s Law Concussion Awareness and Acknowledgement Form
- Hockey Canada Licensed Skill Development Program In-Process License Agreement
- Following the completion of the Pre-Requisite Training, candidates will be provided with details to the online training course.
- The first initial training sessions being offered by the OHF will start the week of June 22, 2020 and will include: Skills Analysis / Teaching Skills, Skating, Puck Control, Developing Defensemen, and Shooting and Scoring.
- Post-Seminar Tasks will be issued following the completion of the online course.
- Complete In-Person Training Weekend, which will consist of in-class and on-ice sessions.
- Complete a Field Evaluation.
The fee for the OHF Hockey Canada Licensed Skill Development Program is $1500.00 in total, this cost is not due at the time of acceptance to the program, but instead is due at the start of each phase. The $1500.00 cost is divided into three payment phases. The phases are the theory based webinar, an in-class course, and the on-ice evaluation.
How to Become Licensed
1. Must have been certified as a Hockey Canada Certified Skills Instructor, Hockey Canada Certified Goaltender Instructor or a Hockey Canada Subject Matter Expert/Skating Specific Instructor.
2. The OHF will then work with applicants to ensure they receive the following prerequisite training:
o Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) or Criminal Record Check (CRC)
o Respect in Sport – Activity Leader Course
o Gender Identity and Expression Course
o Rowan’s Law Concussion Awareness and Acknowledgment Form
o Hockey Canada Licensed Skill Development Program License Agreement
The annual licensee fee for Hockey Canada Licensed Development Specialist is $1500.00 and is not due until you have become Certified.