The certification maintenance requirements began in January of 2014, in which a coach has 5 years to obtain a certain number of credits in order to maintain certification. Certification maintenance is only applicable for Hockey Canada Development 1 and HP1 once you gain certification status.
The Coaching Association of Canada and its partners recognize the value of having certified NCCP coaches that are engaged in Professional Development programs which reinforce the values of lifelong learning and sharing amongst the coaching community.
In order for NCCP coaches to maintain their certified status, they will be required to obtain Professional Development (PD) points. PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities that coaches already participate in, including: national and provincial sport organization conferences and workshops, eLearning modules, NCCP workshops, coach mentorship programs, and active coaching. In most cases coaches are already earning their required PD points -- Maintenance of Certification Status is simply the introduction of tracking these points and recognizing coaches for their efforts.
Check NCCP Certification - The Locker
The Locker is an important tool that supports the efforts of all Canadians involved in coach education. Access to The Locker will provide all coaches with the opportunity to track their progress and guide their development. If you have taken any sort of NCCP training, you will have a locker account. If this is the case, please do not create a new locker account.
Coaches with an NCCP Account can view/update personal information, coaching records and access printable transcripts.
For more information, including how to access your locker, please click here
4.2. Policy Statement
- Certification within the NCCP shall be valid for a maximum period of 5 years.
- The concept of “life-span of NCCP certification” shall apply to coaches who:
- Are already certified according to the standards of the Levels-NCCP.
- Are certified according to the standards of the Levels-NCCP while it is still in effect.
- Are certified according to the standards of an NCCP context’s core certification and gradations.
- Maintenance of certification must be based on active coaching and Professional Development.
5.2. Policy Statement
- Professional Development is required for coaches to renew “Certified” status in any context or gradation.
- Professional Development requirements must be completed by the end of the period for which the certification is valid.
- A National Sport Organization has the option to require coaches to complete Professional Development to renew “Trained” status.
- Coaches are required to obtain a minimum number of Professional Development credits, dependent upon the context in which they are certified, and the NSO-determined period within which they must renew their certification.
Please click here to obtain a copy of the Hockey Canada and Coaching Association of Canada’s certification maintenance document, which will include a list of courses that are currently approved by Hockey Canada and CAC.
More more information on our Instructional and Specialty clinics, please click here
Professional Development Credits required: (Certified Coaches)
|Community Sport (Coach 1 / 2)||10 Points|
|Competition Introduction (Dev 1)||20 Points|
|Competition - Development||30 Points|